As America’s foremost festival for contemporary symphonic music, the mission of the Cabrillo Festival is to re-imagine the orchestral experience–advancing music and developing audiences for the 21st century.
We do this by providing living composers and orchestral artists the means they need to create the future of the art form, giving audiences access to the creative process, and providing mentorship and support for the next generation of conductors and composers.
The world discovers, experiences, values, supports and celebrates the voices and music of contemporary orchestral artists.
These principles reflect the beliefs of the board and staff of the Cabrillo Festival. They serve as the criteria against which strategies are evaluated and prioritized.
• The Cabrillo Festival is a magnet for creativity and a safe haven for artistic ideas and innovation to gain nourishment and thrive.
• The Cabrillo Festival contributes to the ongoing learning process and is committed to pushing understanding and stretching capabilities of all participants in the production, performance and enjoyment of Festival activities.
• The Cabrillo Festival delivers the highest level of artistic performance.
• The Cabrillo Festival contributes to the unique sense of place in Santa Cruz and is a leader in Santa Cruz County’s cultural community.
• The Cabrillo Festival strives to operate on a balanced budget without debt.
• The Cabrillo Festival creates strong relationships with artists, composers and community, built upon integrity and mutual trust. We believe in and foster a gift economy as a fundamental element of our sharing and community-building practice.