An essential part of the Festival’s existence is the generosity of 80 local families who volunteer housing for our orchestra members, composers, guest artists, and technical staff. While most of our hosts stay in the program for many years, there are the inevitable shifts that make finding new host families a constant need! If you have a spare bedroom, guest house, or granny unit that you can offer for one to two weeks during the Festival, please use the interest form provided on this page, or phone us at 831.426.6966. Our Housing Coordinator Valerie Hayes will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Housing an orchestra musician is truly one of the most rewarding aspects of the Cabrillo Festival experience!
Here’s what some of our hosts have said in recent surveys:
- “Hosting some of the musicians is always an extra-added enhancement to the Festival. It is my personal way of learning about the music, techniques, composers, and methods. Music Appreciation 101 up close and personal.”
- “Although I enjoyed many things about the Festival, I especially enjoyed the musician we hosted this year from listening to him practice to talking with him about the Festival and learning about his life and his background.”
- “I was able to host two separate musicians, and this was an outstanding and memorable experience.”
And our orchestra players echo with these sentiments:
- “Susan and Larry have become good friends over the years! We always enjoy their easy company and they provide a lovely space for us.”
- “I enjoy talking to them about the festival and contemporary music and seeing how excited they are about the festival and how much they enjoy it. We look forward to seeing them all year. They couldn’t have been more gracious in their hospitality towards myself and my wife.”
- “The community in Santa Cruz is fantastic. The volunteers make my experience real, like I’m hitting a home run for the team.”
In addition to the supremely rewarding experience of finding a closer connection to the Festival’s artists, hosts receive two vouchers for concert tickets, and are invited to a fun pre-season pizza party with Festival orchestra, staff, and board. You will find the exchange endlessly fulfilling!
Please note, housing within walking distance to the Civic Auditorium is particularly desirable. Hosts are required only to provide a clean and private room with bedding. Meals and transportation are not expected.