A unique music experience for young adults (16-24)
Cabrillo Festival’s Student Staff Program is dedicated to music education for young adults of all musical backgrounds and levels. This free program is designed for the student who wants to have a profound musical experience: interaction with fabulous musicians, amazing composers, and the cutting-edge music for which the Cabrillo Festival is known.
In the weeks before and during the Festival, Music Director Cristian Macelaru, guest composers, and orchestra members will be available to discuss the dynamic new music presented at the Festival. Student Staffers can participate in stimulating workshops with orchestra members covering professional development and career guidance. For those interested, the Student Staff Ensemble provides invaluable experience in concert planning, preparation and performance. And to top it all off, the Student Staff presents and performs a concert of original chamber works at the Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium during the Festival season!
Program highlights include:
- Free admission to Cabrillo Festival performances as ushers
- Free workshops and discussions with world-class musicians
- Opportunity to compose, perform, and/or conduct music for the Student Staff Ensemble concert
- A variety of fun social events
- Open to students age 16-24
- Participants must arrange for own housing and travel
- Must attend two mandatory orientations (Monday June 17 at 10am and Saturday July 27 at 10:30am)
- Must usher five to seven Cabrillo Festival concerts
If you would like to join the Student Staff, please use the provided interest form or call Program Coordinator Tamara Liu at 831.426.6966. Download a brochure about the program here. The 2019 season will run July 27-August 11.
Photo at top: rr jones. Videography: Karla Hutton