The Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music’s deep commitment to music education is integral to our mission statement:
“As America’s foremost festival for contemporary symphonic music, the mission of the Cabrillo Festival is to re-imagine the orchestral experience—advancing music and developing audiences for the 21st century.
We do this by providing living composers and orchestral artists the means they need to create the future of the art form, giving audiences access to the creative process, and providing mentorship and support for the next generation of conductors and composers.“
Educational opportunities abound at the Festival, and are available for all ages and musical backgrounds:
- Conductors/Composers Workshop A highly regarded professional development opportunity for emerging conductors, and composers age 30 or under.
- Student Staff Program A free music immersion program for 16-24 year old students, including free access to Festival concerts as ushers, and the opportunity to compose, conduct and perform a concert of original works during the season.
- Free Family Concert with Tour of the Orchestra (see current/most recent season for concert details).
- Open Rehearsals Free and open to the public, Open Rehearsals occur almost every weekday/evening of the season, and offer a fascinating insight into the process of making new music for orchestra.
- Panel Discussions and Artist Talks Each season, a variety of talks are offered by scholars, artists, musicians and composers, welcoming you to ask questions and dive even deeper into the world of contemporary music.